Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Perfect Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

 I created this delicious vegan Pumpkin Smoothie last October with the help of my 13 year old son (my official taste tester). It was such a hit with my kids, but I forgot to archive my recipe so I attempted it once again this year and my son said it tastes exactly the same!
This smoothie is like drinking pumpkin pie flavored ice cream, it can be served as  breakfast, an afternoon pick-me-up or even dessert. Best of all it is healthy!
A 1/2 cup of  pumpkin only has 50-calories, < 1-g fat, and 4-g fiber. Pumpkin is an excellent food source of Vitamin A, an antioxidant providing about 19,000 IU, about 300% of the Recommended Daily Value, and is rich in iron and beta-carotene a powerful antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties. 
Always try to use organic fresh or canned pumpkin and ingredients.

 Perfect Pumpkin Pie Smoothie 

1 C. *vanilla almond milk (or any vanilla flavored non-dairy milk) 
1/2 C. pumpkin puree
1-2 tsp. pure maple syrup (grade B)
2 tsp. chia seed (allow seeds to soak in the milk for 5-10 min. before blending or pre-grind seeds)
1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice OR you can add 1/2t. Cinnamon, 1/4 t. ginger,1/4 t. nutmeg,1/4 t. allspice
1 frozen banana (sliced)
1 C. ice

Blend ingredients  until creamy and serve.
 This delicious and highly nutritious  Smoothie take less than 5 minutes to prepare and is great way to get veggies into your kids. The chia helps give the smoothie a nice custard like texture while providing extra calcium, fiber, and protein. 

* vanilla almond milk options- I use the sweetened type, but you can also use unsweetened and add extra maple syrup or vanilla coconut palm sugar, or you can use any unflavored non-dairy milk and add vanilla extract.

Enjoy! 
<3 ~GSM











No comments:

Post a Comment